How to Switch Careers
I would start by asking yourself the following questions:
- How many years am I prepared to work towards my chosen career?
- Can I afford to be without an income for the duration of retraining or is there an option for part time learning?
- How motivated am I to do this?
- Is it the right time?
- If I am miserable at work, are there any ways I can minimise the factors that make me miserable?
- Am I prepared to volunteer to gain experience?
- Are there many opportunities in the career path that I would like to enter into, or is it very competitive?
- Am I prepared to start in an entry level role again and work my way up?
- If I have children, how will this impact on my decisions?
There may be a few more questions depending on your own personal circumstances, and this is before you have even explored the possibilities of career options. Add in the fact that if you ask other people for help they will no doubt all have opinions – and let’s not be too hard on them they want to help! These suggestions can be really useful, or they can drown out our values and our inner voice so that we get so confused we really don’t know what to do or where to turn. If you are facing this dilemma, please do get in touch. I can help you work through your confusion and make some decisions based on what your own values are, to help you be true to yourself. Whilst the suggestions of others can be helpful at times, you only have one life – why waste it on making other people happy?
If you want to go for it and would like some help to get where you want to go, please contact us.