The Do’s and Don’ts of Workplace Conflict
Workplace conflict can be very damaging to employee health. Not only does it lead to stressed out employees, it also damages productivity, as people avoid each other or spend a great deal of time attempting to put the situation right instead of getting on with the work they are there to complete. However, workplace conflict is very common, so today I will look at the best way of dealing with it if it happens to you.
- Place blame. This will quickly lead to escalation of the issues
- Shout. Try to keep your emotions out of it
- Gossip about the person you are in conflict with
- Get violent – this will obviously make the situation a lot worse and you could get into trouble with the law
- Say things that are not evidence based – if you are going to confront the person you should do so in a positive way – “when you say X I feel like Y. Please can you do B instead?” Use your own language though!
- Don’t take it personally